How to Setup Straight Talk Wireless Data and MMS for your iPhone running iOS 7

I wrote this guide to share with you how I set up Straight Talk Wireless data, internet, MMS picture messages,and group texts on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7 installed.
If you are trying to set up Straight Talk Wireless for an iPhone using iOS see How to Setup Straight Talk Wireless Data and MMS for your iPhone running iOS 6

This guide explains how to enter the setup information needed to get data, internet, and MMS working. It shows you step-by-step how to enter your Cellular Data APN, MMS APN, MMSC, and MMS Proxy.

If you were searching for any these terms this guide is what you are looking for. Don’t worry about what any of these terms mean yet.
Straight Talk Wireless Cellular Data APN, MMS APN, MMS Proxy, MMSC, tfdata, wap.tracfone, att.mvno, mms3.tracfone.com, mms2.tracfone.com, http://mms-tf.net, http://mmsc.cingular.com, 66.209.11.33, 66.209.11.32 or 216.155.165.40

I have an iPhone 5 but this guide works for any iPhone using iOS 7 including the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 4. The guide works for AT&T, T-Mobile, or GSM unlocked iPhone models. The guide is for iPhone owners using a Straight Talk AT&T-network compatible or Straight Talk T-Mobile compatible SIM card. The guide will also work with any the Verizon iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, or iPhone 5 if you are using Straight Talk AT&T-network or Straight Talk T-Mobile network.

If you are looking for help or have a question you can leave on the Reader Questions page.

Continue to the next page to learn how to set up Straight Talk…

1,315 Comments

1. Caitlyn James | | Reply

So, I gave my boyfriend my old iphone 5 when I got a new one, I have tmobile and he uses straight talk, so we had to have it unlocked. We have unlocked it and he can use the phone since he did the bring your own phone plan with straight talk. He can make calls and receive them and same with texts messages, but when he is not connected to the wifi at home he can’t get on the internet using data and I assume picture messaging doesn’t work but we aren’t too worried about that. We have downloaded 3 different APN installments and none of them have worked. We have been talking on the phone with straight talk for 3 days now trying to solve the problem and they are no help, every single person we have talked to keeps asking us to do the same exact thing, even when we tell them it hasn’t worked. We just need the correct APN username/password and all others to get his cellular data working.

2. kandy | | Reply

Straighttalk iphone 5 bought from Walmartalways with straighttalk but this is the forth time this year that I have lost my data and mms and i cant even tell you how many countless hours i have spent on the phone with Straighttalk trying to fix this. I will eventually get on the phone with someone that will know what to do. Every update or restore completely knocks it out and i downloaded the AT&T apn and did get it to say server quit responding instead of can not connect to cellular data network its cdma and says TFW. I dont what else to do and have done everything you suggested. Oh no sim card!!!!! I do not have to have a sim!!!!!!

Hi Kandy,
      This guide is not for Straight Talk iPhone’s using their CDMA network. Your phone is using the Straight Talk verizon network. Unfortunately you can’t set the APN on these phones your self. Supposedly it is set up when the phone is activated.

One thing you can try is resetting your network settings. Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhoneResetting Network Settings on Your iPhone. that might help.

If your trying to deal with support I recommend you call the Executive Resolutions department and ask for help. When you do get connected with someone that knows what to so ask them what they did so you can tell the person what needs to be done the next time you have to call.

Obviously you’d like to stop having this problem altogether and heck who could blame you. I don’t know how you can fix this for your phone while its on the Verizon network. The problem might go away if you move your service to the Straight Talk att network. Is the ATT network an option for you? Does ATT have decent service in your area?

3. Jana | | Reply

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your website!! I have a at&t iphone 4s on the Straight Talk network, and it has worked well for a couple of years now. However, I’m still running iOS 7.0.3, and I would like to update to iOS 8.3. I’m nervous that if I do this, data and MMS will stop working again. Do you know what steps I will have to take for everything to work if I do the update?

Thanks!

Hi Jana,
      If your APN is tfdata, your phone should just work fine after updating. You can check your APN here
      Looking up Your Straight Talk Wireless APN Settings
      If your APN is some other value, let me know.

My opinion is that the update to iOS 8 went smoothly for many people. I updated a number of phones. That said, I have a lot of readers that check smartphonematters before doing any iOS or carrier updates because they have had a bad experience.

If your APN is tfdata, you phone should just work normally after updating without doing any setup. If it doesn’t, then doing then resetting your network settings or all your settings usually helps.
      Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone
      Resetting All Your iPhone’s Settings

I generally recommend that you test your data connection, sending and receiving MMS picture messages, and group text messages before updating. It’s also a good idea to run the speed test app and check your data speeds before and after updating. See Using SpeedTest to Measure Your Internet Speed.

Some people report that there data connection gets slower after an update. Others report problems with MMS. I have never had these problems myself.

In general, I’d say that the whole setting up Straight Talk and doing updates on your iPhone is way better then it was when I started this website.

Let me know if you decide to update and how it goes.

• Jana | | Reply

Thanks for the help! I went ahead and did the update. My data works fine, and I can send picture texts to iphones and other phones. However, I can’t receive picture messages from people without iphones. Should I give it a few days or go ahead and reset my settings?

Another thing that happened is my phone used to say 4G at the top and now it says 3G. My data doesn’t seem to be slower right now, but the phone itself is operating slower.

Thanks,
        Jana

Hi Jana,
          Don’t worry about the 3G indicator. Straight Talk used to use 3G, 4G, and LTE indicators now they use 3G and LTE. It’s the same service however.

I’d try the resets and see if you can receive pics. It might take a few days to start working.

4. Ryan | | Reply

Hey there,

So, i’ve had my Iphone 5 on Straight Talk for quite some time. Just yesterday, after hearing word that they now allow access to the Verizon 4G LTE network, I switched sim cards.

Since switching SIM cards, I am unable to receive picture messages from Android phones, however android phones can receive pictures from me. Also, I believe I have been able to send and receive pictures with other Iphone users.

I’ve searched as much as I can online with no definitive fix. Most forums discuss fix’s if you’re on the AT&T straight talk network. Any idea how I can fix this issue? My apologies if you have addressed it in previous posts. Thanks for your help.

• Ryan | | Reply

Also note, my LTE appears to be working fine.

Hi Ryan,
      when you switched your phone did you buy a network access code and register your phone on the Straight talk verizon network and then activate the SIM? Or did you just transfer your service to the SIM card? Did you dial *22890 to activate your phone? I’m just curious.

Try this: Resetting All Your iPhone’s Settings.

Also, if your problem is only receiving MMS. You might find it starts working in a few days. I hear from many people with this problem when they transfer their number to Straight Talk or in your case transfer your Straight Talk (ATT or TMobile service I presume) to Straight Talk’s verizon network.

Let me know how it goes.

• Ryan | | Reply

Good Evening Bob,

I actually completed the activation process with a representative from Straight Talk on “chat” from their website, because when I logged into my account, it did not show that I had an active SIM but did show my service end date. The rep walked me through the process and although my phone was already activated on Straight Talk because i’ve used it with my AT&T SIM, it seemed that she utilized the CDMA Network Access Code and did the activation for me. In a little under a half hour my new SIM was working.

After reading some more of your posts after I had posted on this thread, I reset my Network settings, but I have been unable to reset all of my Iphone’s settings because I have forgotten my Restrictions Passcode. I was under the impression that this Passcode would mirror my current Passcode, but I guess not.

Also, just before this post, I had my girlfriend try to send me a photo and I still cannot receive them.

Hi Ryan,
          I can’t say for certain what the problem is.
          Just for clarification. When you use Straight Talk ATT your SIM card is register on the network, not your phone. When you use Straight talk’s Verizon or Sprint network (CDMA) you register the phone.

Straight Talk will tell you they don’t guarantee that MMS will work. Here is what I suggest.

1. continue waiting. It might start working.
          2. Fix your restrictions password issue. I haven’t tried this. It might help. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5321819?tstart=0
          3. Call Straight Talk’s executive resolution department and ask them if they can reset your APN settings over the air. I think the number is 1-888-442-5096. Be polite and patient with them. If they say they don’t guarantee it will work, tell them it worked for you on their ATT network, can’t you just try to fix it..

• Ryan | |

Thanks for the help Bob. I was trying to fix it without restoring it, but I ended up following the link you sent and it appears to be working now. However, I am still unable to change my Restrictions passcode, but it appears I won’t need it.

Hi Ryan,
            Glad it’s working. Not sure about the restrictions password though. Might be a good idea to still try in fix that because one day you might really need it.

5. Amber | | Reply

I have reset the APN on my iPhone 5c and tried all three options and it still is not working. I am using the tfdata option and I can get MMS and emoji’s from other iPhones and my data is working but I cannot get MMS from other types of phones or emoji’s. I cannot locate the APN settings on my phone, I’m lost, what do I need to do?

Amber,
      The Cellular Data Network page in your iPhone’s Settings is hidden. You can not view or modify the APN directly. If your APN is tfdata, your iPhone should set up the APN automatically. I recommend removing the APN profile (see the guide if you don’t know how to). After removing try Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone. If that doesn’t fix the problem, try Resetting All Your iPhone’s Settings

If you recently signed up for Straight Talk and transferred your phone number it may take a few days before you can receive MMS picture messages. I had the same issue. I set up three Straight Talk accounts. MMS worked fine for the two with new phone numbers. I could not receive MMS for the third, the one I transferred a number to. I tried the SIM in two different phone and it did not work. After a few days I decided to see if I could try to fix it, only to find it working.

6. Jessie | | Reply

i don’t even have an option for group messaging after all this my phones on e not 3G or lte I have a 5s it drops calls all the times I barely can talk on the phone pls help

7. Tristan Ortiz | | Reply

Hi, we have an iphone 5c and I followed all the steps and still nothing. I downloaded all three of the straight talk thingys (sorry forgot what they were called) but still didn’t work. And now we put the AT&T sim back in and we cant access the cellular data settings to access the APN settings. I dont know what to do other than that. Its pretty much just a iphone wihtout internet access.

8. crystal | | Reply

i just put a straight talk sim card into my iphone4. i only have a straighttalk at&t simm card. i cant get mms or data. how can i set the apn if i dont have the tmobile simm to change out with?

9. Shawn | | Reply

Hi Bob,
    I bought my daughter an ATT iphone 5s to replace her ATT iPhone 4 already on straight talk. So I transferred her # to the new iPhone 5s with new ATT nano sim I bought from ST (did this online on ST). The voice part of the phone works, but I don’t think her MMS is working (I am doing this remotely, I did not have her phone).
    I think the iOS on the iphone5s is still 7. So I told her to update the iOS to 8 overnight and reboot the phone in the morning (it was late). Will this get her MMS working?

Is the APN supposed to automatically update? If so, does the APN update immediately or take some time? Or do I need to manually program the APN

THanks for all the great work you do to help the rest of us!
    Shawn

Hi Shawn,
      If the APN for your daughter’s account is tfdata, then the phone should set it up automatically. If you just transferred her service, to a new Straight Talk ATT sim, the APN should be tfdata. You can check it here. Looking up Your Straight Talk Wireless APN Settings.
      If her MMS doesn’t work after updating to iOS 8, have her try this Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone

Make sure to have her test both sending and receiving MMS.

Your Straight Talk APN for the iPhone using the ATT sim should set up immediately. Your phone detects the correct carrier file, eg TFW 19.0 and loads the APN settings from there. The carrier profile should already be in the phone as part of the OS.

• Shawn | | Reply

Hey Bob,
        Thanks for the help. Updating to iOS 8 and rebooting did the trick.

Shawn

10. John | | Reply

I think this worked perfectly the first time. Waiting for some confirmation, just got it! everything working perfectly! I spent a couple hrs earlier watching utube, waste of time! this is definitely the site to get it done.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Hi John,
      That is great news. Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you use social media, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and YouTube. In addition to keeping up with latest updates at smartphonematters you would be helping us launch social media efforts. click here

11. Alicia | | Reply

Hi,
    Bought an old unlocked,jailbroken iphone 3gs, previously had iphone3gs that just broke, used same sim, on old phone was able to do these directions and could get data and mms. This phone is running version iOS 6.1.6 as it cannot be updated. Tried doing the steps for running iOS 7, none of the three apn profiles got data to work, did your old steps for iOS 6, none of those three apn profiles worked either, tried 2 apn profiles from unlockit, straighttalk (new) and straighttalk (old) but none worked. It is running an ATT sim that we had in the other phone. Any idea what I could try next? Also, able to send out texts but cannot receive from iphone, with or without wifi on.

12. Kimberly campbell | | Reply

I’ve tried all three and none work I have iPhone 5 n it’s a straight talk iPhone bought it at Walmart for straight talk n I’ve tried everything please help

Hi Kimberly,
      When did you buy this iPhone? Do you know if it has a SIM card in it? We need to figure out which Straight talk network you are using. What is the model number on the back of the phone?

13. Curtis | | Reply

I’ve tried using all three APNs and non of them worked. I’m using an iPhone 5s unlocked. My data still isn’t working. Please help. I don’t know what else to do

Hi Curtis,
      Do you know if you are using the Straight Talk ATT or Straight Talk TMobile network?

• Curtis | | Reply

Hey bob, thanks for the reply. I’m using straight talk att. As of right now nothing is working

14. Jeremy | | Reply

iPhone 4, from ATT, locked
    I followed the guide and it worked great.
    Happy wife = Happy life
    Thanks Bob!

Hi Jeremy,
      You are welcome. I hear you and know that all to well brother! If you use social media, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and YouTube. In addition to keeping up with latest updates at smartphonematters you would be helping us launch social media efforts. click here

15. Amie | | Reply

This is the best tutorial ever. Thank you for being so clear. Just a word. I’ve had to do this twice now on my iphone 5. (swithcing it over from verizon to straight talk.) And I had to reset it because I shut the cellular data off and back on and for some reason I had to do this all over again to get my data working. ANyway. I’ve noticed that the same VPN doesn’t work each time for my phone. It just seems to be whatever VPN I use on the 3rd attempt of installing a VPN. Just a little FYI. Maybe you know that. Thanks again!

Thanks Amy,

16. Deas1997 | | Reply

Everything is clumped together I cannot tell which settings go with what, everything is just separated by commas and I tried so many just going to go with T-Mobile, ATT could not make it work with their sim because it is a T-Mobile not an ATT phone

Did you read all the pages in the guide? It shows you which settings to use and how to enter them. If you are hung up on page 1 if you are focused on the list of settings.

It’s up to you if you want to try and get your phone working with ST.

If you already signed up with st, you paid for the month so why not try and use it for the month. Tmobile might be a better option for you. If I were you I’d visit a Tmobile store and ask them how long you need to use the phone on there network before they will unlock it. At that point you could use it with any att or Tmobile network and could pick the network that works best in your area.

17. Kory | | Reply

Hey Bob, so today I switched my AT&T number over to straight talk. I have the IPhone 5c with IOS 8’s newest update. They said once I put my sim card in that I should go to software update and then I would get an APN update but it never pops up. If I don’t have wifi I can still browse the internet. I also can make phone calls. But my texts are not sending nor receiving. I was wondering if you knew how I could fix this?
    Thanks
    -Kory

Hi kory,
      I think it should work. Put the sim in and your cellular data should work. If it doesn’t find a wifi network and dowload the software update. You should be able to find free wifi if you don’t have it at home. Your public library, starbucks, the mall, or other public place

18. Alexandra | | Reply

I have called, emailed, and did the online chat with Straight Talk support and still am not getting any results to why my data or mms will not work . My data only will work if I have wifi access. When I go to install their apn settings it shows it can not be verified and that the certificate expired last year in July. Could this be the issue?

Hi,
      Use the link under Look up your Cellular Data Network Settings on page 11 of this article guide to look up your APN. What is it?

19. Hannah | | Reply

Hello Bob,
    I have an iPhone 5 that I purchased through straight talk directly and it does not use a SIM card. I stopped being able to get data after I installed the latest ios update. I have reset my network settings, reset all settings and everything, tried installing all of the profiles and nothing seems to work. Is there any other advice you could give me? I have had my phone and service for almost 2 years now and it has worked great the whole time. Thanks.

Hi Hannah,
      Remove the apn profile you installed. Try a Reset All Settings, dial *22890, see if it works after that. If not call Straight Talk and open a case with their customer support.

20. chris | | Reply

I’m still having issues with my phone. I have enter all the profiles and codes and it still doesn’t work.

what type of phone do you have? What version of iOS are you using? Which straight talk SIM are you using? Did you look up your APN on the Straight Talk website using the link in the guide? What is your APN?

• Chris | | Reply

I have the iPhone 5
        Verizon
        I have the cdma SIM card
        And
        I can not access apn settins because it is a cdma phone which locks that setting

• Chris | |

I have already done the network reset multiple times I have also
            Did a complete reset

And when I try the *22890
            A message pops up that says not allowed

I really have tried everything
            I have read online and what straight talk tech support has told me

Hi Chris,
            Well I have to ask the questions. Many people tell me they tried everything, without listing what they have tried and it is hard to help people then.

I don’t know what the problem is. You should open an issue with Straight Talk. Get them to escalate the issue to tier 2 technical support. They should then give you a case number.

that said, do you have a Carrier option in settings? it would be below settings.

To confirm, you bought the Striaght Talk activation kit, used the network access code to register your phone, then activated the Verizon CDMA sim in the kit? Did you do this online yourself? Or do it over the phone?

21. Aaron | | Reply

Hi, Bob –

My wife has an iPhone 5 that was originally purchased from t-mobile. When I left t-mobile, I had the factory unlock done on the phone. I purchased the Net10 family SIM pack, and installed the SIM ‘for use with t-mobile compatible phones’. The phone and voicemail functions work, but I have no cellular data or MMS functionality. I have tried downloading the three APNs from your site, and none seem to work for me. The network setting at the top of the phone shows AT&T, whereas my iPhone 4 on Net10 shows TFW.

Any guidance in getting the iPhone 5 to work?

Hi Aaron,
      The fact that your phone indicates ATT suggests you are either using the wrong SIM or that your phone isn’t seeing the TMobile network and connecting to the ATT network instead. This happens in areas where the tmobile coverage isn’t good and tmobile has an arrangement with ATT to carry their wireless traffic. Unfortunately, those arrangements don’t extend to prepaid networks sold by tmobile or other companies like net10. I am not sure this is the case for you since you were using tmobile beforehand and I assume the phone didn’t display ATT. Try the stuff below first, let me know what happens.

First double check to make sure you are using the Net10 TMobile SIM, what color was the plastic card the SIM came on? Did it look like one of these?
      Straight Talk Wireless Bring Your Own Phone Activation Kit SIMS Packaged Incorrectly/a>. This is a straight talk kit, but the sim cards should look the same.

If you are using Net10’s TMobile SIM, your APN should be wap.tracfone. You can check that by going to http://www.net10.com/byop_apn/index.jsp enter your phone number and Android 4.0 and later.

you can install http://iapnupdate.net10.com/ to set up you data connection. This won’t set up MMS picture messaging though. If this doesn’t set up data try a network reset
      Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone

If you want MMS to work, just go into the settings and set up your APN directly. See How to Set up Net10 Web, Data, and MMS for Your iPhone Running iOS 7

Read the whole guide, ignore the parts about the SIM swap. You are using the Net10 T-Mobile SIM, so you should see the Cellular Data Network in your settings. Remember to remove any APN profiles you installed first.

FYI, you may want to check this out. Using Speedtest on the iPhone 5s to Test Straight Talk Wireless’ T-Mobile Compatible Network

• Aaron | | Reply

Hi, Bob –

Thanks very much for the response. We were on t-mobile, but have since moved to Montana where there is no t-mobile coverage – hence the move to Net10. Could this be the issue? I am using the nano SIM from the pink card in the Activation Kit.

Thanks very much for the help troubleshooting this.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
          Yes. Follow these instructions to transfer your service from the Net10 Tmobile Sim to the net10 ATT SIM, if your iPhone 5 is unlocked it should work.
          Transferring your service is easy (your number and remaining service is transferred from the current SIM to the new SIM)
          Log in to you online account t on the net10 website
          Create one if you don’t have one
          Choose activate new phone or SIM card
          Click activate under the picture of the sim
          Select Transfer my Existing NET10 Service
          Click continue
          Enter the sim number for your new sim
          Select your current product
          Click submit…

That should be it. Or at least get you 99% there.

If have done this a few times it’s pretty easy.
          Let me know how it goes.

If you are unsure if your phone is unlocked, try borrowing an ATT SIM from a friend and sticking it in the phone. You’ll see if the phone is locked. You might also be able to tell with the inactive net10 sim. It’s been a long time since I have had a locked iphone so I don’t remember if that is a good enough test.

• Aaron | |

Hi, Bob –

I think it’s working! I swapped the t-mobile sim (pink) for the at&t sim (blue). She is now getting mobile data, picture messages, and group texts. If this is all working, is there anything I need to test for? Anything I’m missing?

Thanks so much for your prompt and extremely valuable help!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
            It sounds good. You can check to make sure that MMS picture messages and group text messages are working with other people that aren’t using iPhones. iPhones often use iMessage and their data connection to deliver those. sometimes people don’t realize that MMS and group texts aren’t working to non iPhones until later.

You can install the SpeedTest app and make sure you are getting reasonable data speeds. See I Upgraded My iPhone 5’s Net10 Wireless and Straight Talk SIM and Now Get 4G LTE.

• Aaron Pratt | |

Hi, Bob –

Our phones have been working great on Net10’s family plans for the last year and a half. Thanks very much for your help! I do have a follow-up question.

I recently purchased an iPhone 5S that the seller claims only works on Net10 and StraighTalk to replace my iPhone 4. I still have the Net10 activation kit that I purchased a year and half ago, and assume I can use the nano sim that was provided in the kit rather than swapping in the micro sim that’s currently in my iPhone 4.

If the above is true, how do I go about switching my service from the iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 5S on Net10? Any tricks I should know?

Thanks again for your help, Bob!

Hi Aaron,
            How is life in Montana? (I looked at your old comments).

If you are going to use the phone with the Straight Talk AT&T network, all you need to do is transfer your service from the existing Net10 AT&T micro SIM to the Net10 nano SIM from that old kit. You should be able to do this without issue, your number and balance should transfer. I wrote this article about it Transferring Your Existing Net10 Wireless Service to a New Phone or SIM.

The only thing that could be an issue is if that 5s was used with Net10 or Straight Talk’s Verizon network or the serial number of the phone was associated that other person’s account. Shouldn’t be an issue for using with the AT&T network. You may want to ask the seller if they removed the phone from their account.

Let me know how it goes.

22. Miguel | | Reply

Thanks for the post very very helpful, I’ve found that jailbreaking the device is the best way to go jaibreaking is free and easy simple as plug phone in and click a button once you jailbreak install tetherme tweak might cost about $3 bucks but totally worth it as it automatically opens up “cellular network” tab and lets you control APN settings without sim swap

Currently on iOS 8.1.2 jail broken
    iPhone 4S AT&T

Hi Miquel,
      Thanks for taking the time to comment. A number of readers do ask me about jailbreaking so it’s nice to hear from readers who are using a jailbreak.
      Jailbreaking is a good solution for people that want to take advantage of all the apps outside of the Apple app store and have features that apple would not approve. It does have its downsides. You can’t update iOS until a version is available for the jailbreak. The other disadvantage is that you have essentually hacked your phone and open to any potential exploit placed in the jailbroken firmware or apps installed.

Also, the SIM swap hasn’t worked since iOS 7.1. For most Straight Talk att customers, their APN is tfdata and the iPhone will set up the data and MMS APN automatically. Mine has worked for close to two years without an issue. I usually recommend that Straight Talk customers with the att.mvno transfer their service to a new SIM. When they do this their APN changes from att.mvno to tfdata and they are able to use their iPhone without additional setup.

• Miguel | | Reply

Thanks for the reply Bob

I wasn’t aware of the ios7 stop on sim swap as I went from iOS 6 straight to 8.1.2
        I jump from iOS to android back and fourth lol

I was playing with APN settings and the way I did it with out a newer tfdata sim (haven’t had any time to go to Walmart) I downloaded the Tfdata profile from your site (thanks!) for sending and receiving MMS and for Internet/data I played around with the APN using thetherMe tweak and set APN to ATT.MVNO
        Basically I’m using both type of APN’s to get Internet and MMS to work at the same time

Till I have a change to update to newer sim I’ll leave it like this as its working for me on older SIM card

Yes you are absolutely right about those jail breaking discrepancies I forgot to mention that
        It is a very “do at your own risk ” type of scenario

Although jail breaking has come a long way since it began years back and with a little knowledge and research you can easily see what sources/repos are trusted sources to use,
        that much I can say….

23. Art | | Reply

Hi Bob,

What is the difference between ST and Net10?
    Seems like most people here talk about switching to ST, is Net20 that bad? I believe ST uses AT&T towers, what about Net10?

I have ATT iPhone 4S and debating which service provider to choose,
    thanks,
    Art

Hi Art,
      Straight Talk, Net10, and Tracfone are all brands of the same company. They are owned by America Movil, a Mexican telecommunications company that owns a number of prepaid wireless companies in the US.

The difference between Straight Talk and Net10 is mostly marketing. The Net10 brand is sold at many retailers including Target, KMart, Radio Shack, etc. Walmaert wanted an exclusive brand so the negogiated for one, Straight Talk.

I use both service in my family. I found net10 before I found Straight Talk, so I signed up for that. Both services are pretty much the same. Straight talk’s unlimited plan is $5 a month cheaper so most people go with that. They both offer plans with different amounts of data though, so in some cases Net10 can be a better deal just check the rates on both sites, as the plans change over time. Do you know how much data you use per month?

If you buy prepaid cards to pay your phone bill, Net10 might be a better option as the cards are available in many retailers, including pharmacies. With Straight Talk, you can only pick them up in walmart.

• eric | | Reply

hi bob,
        I follow the instructions and my cellular data didn’t work. i have an T-Mobile sim card and been trying to activate my cellular data and mms messages for the longest

Hi Eric,
          Are you using T-Mobile or Straight Talk’s tmobile-network compatible SIM? If you are using T-Mobile, the APN Settings in this guide won’t work. If you are using Straight Talk’s tmobile network compatible SIM, did you go into Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Network and set up the APN information.

24. Jessica Wright | | Reply

My cellular data still won’t set up, and I don’t understand why. I have an iPhone 4 running on iOS7. It just activated today. I really don’t know what else to do.

Hi Jessica,
      Did you bring your own phone from ATT, Verizon, Sprint or TMobile? Are you using a Straight Talk SIM?

• Jessica | | Reply

Hi Bob,
        I did bring my own Verizon phone; however, it doesn’t require a sims card due to it being a CDMA phone.

Hi Jessica,
          Your cellular data and MMS gets set up when you dial that activation code. Did you dial *22890 yet? If so did you restart your phone afterwards?
          Try doing a network reset Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone.

Was your phone active on Verizon when you did the transfer?

• Jessica | |

No, it was not active. I have tried both of those things and neither of them worked (the restarting or the resetting).

Is your voice service working? If so, try redialing the activation number. I seem to recall a reader telling me he did this with the phone connected to wi-fi and that helped, but I have have no proof that would solve the problem.
            Also call Straight Talk and ask for support. They may be able to force an update. They should open a support case for you.

25. Eric | | Reply

Hi Bob,

Thank you for this website. I have a t-mobile iPhone 6 and have, through lots of trial & error, finally gotten my mms picture messaging and data working. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get group messaging to work. In fact, the option to turn group messaging on isn’t there when I put my ST sim card in. It is there if I put the t-mobile sim in.

Do you have any suggestions for me? I would appreciate any advice you have.

Hi Eric,
      Hmm. You don’t have the Group Messaging option in Settings->Messages? I assume you having MMS Messaging turned on. I bought the T-mobile / unlocked iPhone 6 and I am using the ST att sim. I have this option. Try resetting your network settings: Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone

26. Maria Brink | | Reply

I cannot get my data on my Iphone 5s previously Verizon but now Straight talk. The data been working; not sure what on- then someone deleted the profile off of the phone. I have tried everything. I can still make calls, it just won’t connect to the internet!

27. Kelcy | | Reply

Just wanted to say thank you so much. I have an iphone4s that I transferred my number and service to and this guide was so helpful. The most helpful thing I have found. I was getting very discouraged. This was clear and concise. I am excited to use my new phone. Thank you for the time you put into creating this!

Hi Kelcy,
      That is great news. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it when people take the time to let me know that a guide or article on smartphonematters helped them solve a problem. I encourage everyone to leave a comment and share their experience. They help me improve the guides and help readers make an informed decision about what will work for them.

28. Christine | | Reply

I need help with my mms apn settings. I have tmobile iPhone 5 for straight talk. My data I can use either tfdata or wap.tracfone. I CAN receive texts and mms but I can not send them. I have tried both settings.. I’m not sure if the sim swap will work for me because I am using a tmobile iPhone. Please help I’ve tried everything!!!

Hi Christine,
      Are you using the straight talk Att ot tmobile sim? Las t time you commented you said the TMobile sim?
      Tap Settings->Cellular do you see an option, Cellular Data Network?

• ChRistine | | Reply

yes I use tmobile straight talk SIM card.. Do I need to use an AT&T and have my phone unlocked?

Christine,
          No. If you can make phone calls your phone is unlocked. I do need to know if you see the cellular data network option I asked about.

29. Raul | | Reply

Hello.
    I have a locked ATT iPhone 4s running ios 7.1. Can i use this on ST even if its locked?

Hi Raul,
      Many people use a locked ATT iPhone Straight Talk’s ATT network. It works. If it was your iPhone that was on ATT and your contract is up, ask ATT to unlock it.
      Unlocking Your AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone

Some readers report that Straight Talk will tell them the reason their MMS doesn’t work is because the phone is locked. But some readers report problems with MMS even on unlocked iPhones.

30. Terri | | Reply

When I put in the TMobile SIM card, it says I have to activate it and won’t let me access the Settings … what am i doing wrong?

Hi Terri,
      Are you trying to SIM swap or just using straight talk t-Mobile? If you are using iOS 7.1 or greater the SIM swap doesn’t work anymore.
      Let me know which iPhone model you are using and which Straight Talk SIM. Go to page 11 of the guide and follow the instructions to look up your APN. See Look up your Cellular Data Network Settings
      what is your APN? tfdata, att.mvno, or wap.tracfone.

• Terri | | Reply

I’m trying to SIM swap but have iOS 8.1 … if the SIM swap method doesn’t work anymore, what can I do to get my MMS working???

I have an iPhone 4s and my APN is tfdata

• Terri | |

So I wound up finding this link to CHAT with a StraightTalk rep (which was infinitely better than any of the phone conversations I’ve had with them!!!!) and he had it fixed within a matter of minutes. I asked what had to be changed and he said “I just needed to update the information on the system since you had the settings for data but the MMS settings needed to be updated on the account.”

Hi Terri,
            That is great. Thanks for sharing that. I’d say about 1 in every 50 or so users reports a similar experience. That support changed something to make it work. And yes you re right, I think the online chat is better than phone support.

31. Andrea | | Reply

I have an AT&T iphone 5s and am switching to straight talk. I have the nano sim to install. Is there any thing special I need to do to make sure my mms and internet will work?

• Andrea | | Reply

I also have the ios 8.1.

Hi Andrea,
      If you have the Straight Talk AT&T nano SIM, you should be good to go. If data or MMS doesn’t work after, try resetting your phone.
      Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone. If that doesn’t work try Resetting All Your iPhone’s Settings.

If you transfer your phone number from AT&T to Straight Talk, you might find that it takes a few days before you can reliably receive MMS pictures messages. Make sure you have your AT&T account number and account PIN to be able able to transfer your phone number. Call ATT to get your account pin if you don’t know what it is.

• Jamie | | Reply

I have verizon iphone 5 and just did the update to IOS 8.1. My data works fine but I can’t get mms, group messaging, and picture messaging to non iphones to work. I have the net10 SIM, I tried the tmobile SIM swap and I am able to change settings but it still doesn’t work. I’m super frustrated!!!!!!

32. Christine | | Reply

I am using T-Mobile straight talk sim chip. My data settings are wap.tracfone. I noticed a different setting you posted for mms and it got my iPhone to receive mms but now I can not send them.

33. Juan hernandez | | Reply

Does sim swap trick would still work on iPhone 4 running ios7.1.2 with straight talk services ?

Use the link in the guide to look up your APN. If it is tfdata, try a network reset. If it’s att.mvno or wap.trafone let me know

• Christine | | Reply

I have T-Mobile iPhone 5 with straight talk wireless I can not get my mms to work unless I’m sending a mms to another iPhone. My data works just not mms. Please help!!

Hi Christine,
          Are you using the straight talk att or straight talk tmobile sim?

• juan hernandez | |

I have try to many times the sim swap and still won’t work my apn is att.mvno .I don’t know if is doing this cause the ios 7.1.2 is to fast to detecting the sim swap .what bout if I downgrade to lower ios thoses anybody knows if that would work ?

34. Michael | | Reply

Amazing instructions thanks

Hi Michael,
      You are welcome.

35. shevon | | Reply

How do you get the mms to work for T-Mobile iphone 5 with straight talk wireless?

Follow the guide. Read the second section about going into settings and entering the APN information. You don’t need to sim swap.

Wait. Are you using the straight talk att to straight talk tmobile sim?

36. kristy s | | Reply

cant get mms to work at all..data is fine using the att.mvno.. on iphone 4,,i had the straight talk sim from an android phone prior and put in this device,, is that what is making it now work? im going crazy trying to find out settings to configure correctly.any help you can give i appreciate..thanks!

Hi kristy,
      If you are using ios 6 up to ios 7.0.6, you can get mms to work by following the instructions in to guide to do the sim swap. That won’t work for ios 7.1 or later. What you can do is buy a new sim for $7 and transfer your existing service. Your APN should change to tfdata, with ios 7.1 and the tfdata APN your mms should work automatically.

The APN profile you installed only sets up data, not mms. The $7 for a new sim is the best way I know to solve the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

37. Lucas | | Reply

Hello,
    I’m having a difficult time getting my data back! I had the BYOP for an iPhone 4 working perfectly fine, then I sent my phone out to get the home button and lock button repaired. Upon getting my phone back my data is no longer working and I was curious as to if I need to repeat this process or what? I’ve tried all the different APN settings and none of them are seeming to work. My SIM card is in good condition and my iPhone is registering that it is inside and whatnot. I’m not sure what the problem is but any insight would be incredibly useful!

Hi Lucas,
      If you are using iOS 7 follow the instructions below. Otherwise tell me which verison you are using.
      Look up your APN. Enter your phone number and Android 4.0 & 4.1 as you device type.

If your APN is tfdata then follow the steps below, if not let me know what is.
      Remove any APN profile installed on your phone. See the guide if you don’t know how to so that.
      Reset your network settings.
      Resetting Network Settings on Your iPhone
      Test your data and MMS. It should work. If not try Resetting All Settings
      Resetting All Your iPhone’s Settings

Let me know how it goes.

38. John goodman | | Reply

I followed all the steps and did the sim swap and I’m running iOS 7.1.2 and I cannot get mms to work have u found a way around this problem?

39. Barbara Cooley | | Reply

That is correct! I got away from the iphone because I was on the phone too much but on this new phone I did not get any data on it and sprint has too many dropped calls. I was thinking if I can still get data on my new phone and be able to use imessaging it would help a lot. How would I go about doing this

40. Barbara Cooley | | Reply

I had a iphone 4s with sprint and I switched to att prepaid talk and unlimited txt but I would like to be able to use my att without having to use my sprint phone for imessage. Is there anyway that I can keep my number and not have an iphone and use data with it for imessage. The reason why I switched is because sprint is just useless. They have good plans but have dropped calls so if there is anyway that I can use a prepaid phone and add the data on the phone for it also

Hi Barbara,
      I don’t understand. You have a Sprint iPhone4s. You left sprint, and went to att prepaid. When you switched to att, you got a new phone.
      Is this correct? Now what is it you want to do?
      Let me know.

• Barbara Cooley | | Reply

I just bought a straight talk wireless with a att sim card and I am waiting for that. When I get my sim card will I be able to use my same phone number that I have had all along? I got a att basic phone it wan’t wireless or anything but I just want to be able to talk, txt and use data and have it cheaper. Can I keep my number and is there an activation fee to have it activated!

Hi Barbara,
          I am not sure I follow you, your last comment was a few months ago. If you are currently a straight talk customer, you should be able to transfer you existing phone number and service to you new straight talk Att sim. If you are using a different wireless company, you can transfer your number from the current company to straight talk when you sign up. You cannot use the straight talk Att sim in the sprint iPhone 4s. There are no activation fees, you had to pay for the sim, and you’ll need to pay for 30 days of service, if you don’t already have and account.

41. amy | | Reply

I have straight talk and I just got a samsung galaxy s3.also straight talk.I have a sim card in that I jist got but I’m having problems. Nobody can call me cause it goes straight to voicemail.what do I need to to.ive been calling the company but notb getting anywhere..what kinda sim card do I need

Did I respond to you? I think I replied to your other comment.

42. Sophie | | Reply

Hi
    I’m using straight talk I CPU 5e…..
    Now I can only send text and not receive.
    Super weird.

Hi,
      I don’t understand your comment.

43. Sophie | | Reply

Hi
    I just switched over to straight talk and added the apn (iPhone 4s) via the link u gave. The data all seem to b working. But my FaceTime and iMessage isn’t acting quite right. In settings, it’s checked that I’m using my iCloud instead of my phone number. The phone number is grayed and can’t select it.
    I can’t quite figure this out.
    Ur help would b greatly appreciated. Tks 🙂

Hi Sophie,
      Which APN are you using?

44. Neeraj | | Reply

Hi i have straight talk at&t sim, and i get LTE speed blazing fast in my area 08003. However due to upgrade to 7.1.2 i lost an option in settings to enter my cellular data network settings so i can get my MMS back. It was working fine. I called ST customer service they said as long as your data working we are not promised that your MMS would work or not. How can i get my MMS work back again. Any info on this would work.

Stats: Iphone 5 at&t sim straight talk at&t MMS problem. My service is flawless without mms being there.

45. Alarna | | Reply

Hi I had an iphone unlocked To use my life mobile sim in it. Text and calls are working but data isn’t … I followed the steps but it still isn’t working help me ;-(

Hi Alarna,
      This page shows how to set up the APN for Straight Talk Wireless in the US. Are you using a mobile operator called my life mobile? Are you in the US or the UK?

46. stephanie | | Reply

I have a Samsung galaxy s4 att using straight talk. If I wanted to switch to an iPhone 5 c could I use the same sim card I have in my android and just change the APN settings?

47. Wesley | | Reply

Hey, so I used your guide to get the MMS working on an iPhone 5 from t mobile. Used the wap.tracfone apn. The MMS works and the data works but it’s slow, only getting 3g. 6.5down and 1.4 up. Under the cellular menu it only says enable 3g. I should be in a 4g Lte area. It’s not even giving me the option to turn it on…

48. Jess | | Reply

Hi Bob! I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1.2, I was previously with AT&T so I am using an AT&T Straight Talk SIM. I cancelled my service and paid the fees so the phone should be completely unlocked, they also said it was already unlocked. I can send pictures and iMessaging works, but I cannot receive non-iMessage pictures or group texts. I’ve been troubleshooting for three days now, called straight talk and AT&T, and I think in the process I turned off my data by resetting network settings so I had to install the wap.tracfone APN profile from straight talk and that’s working again. Unfortunately like you mentioned to Brittany, the SIM swapping and manual cellular data network input did not work, probably due to my iOS. I noticed during the swap that the AT&T SIM likes to switch the APN to tfdata even though that profile does not work for my phone, I did make sure to change it to wap.tracfone each attempt. What are my other options aside from trying to convince straight talk to switch my APN? I really do not want to sacrifice my MMS for this carrier but at the same time I do not want to cancel it because everything else is working fine. I also want to avoid crawling back to AT&T and then paying way more money to rejoin.

49. Shay | | Reply

I followed all the steps. Then I tried to see if my data would work without wifi and sure enough it didn’t.

Hi Shay,
      Let me know what phone you are using and your version of iOS. Also use the link in the guide to look up you apn settings and let me know what they are.

50. Brittany | | Reply

Thanks for the info! I will try calling then! Very helpful website!!!