My Straight Talk Data and MMS stopped working for my iPhone!

Well, not mine but apparently a number of readers are reporting their data just stopped working. I am looking into this with some readers.

Here are a couple of reasons you data might stop working.

1. You updated iOS on your phone and your didn’t configure your APN.  See this guide to fix the problem:  How to Setup StraightTalk Wireless Data and MMS for your iPhone running iOS 6

2. You exceeded your data cap. StraightTalk as never officially confirmed it but many believe data is capped at 1.5GB

Have you been affected? Find a fix? Leave a comment.

Update 6/27

I did a little Internet search to see if I could find out what exactly these network carrier updates were. Several blogs are saying that there was an update for the Government alert system. your phone can receive alerts in response to emergencies. I have been receiving carrier updates with my Net10 AT&T network iPhone 5 and not lost my data. I haven’t tried MMS recently, I use iMessage for the few picture messages I send.

IMG_1095

155 Comments

1. JAIME | | Reply

No trabaja mi internet

¡Hola
      Eso no es información suficiente para que te ayude. ¿Qué servicio inalámbrico está usando? ¿Qué tipo de teléfono? ¿Se detuvo el trabajo de Internet y luego? ¿Está utilizando una tarjeta SIM

2. Melissa | | Reply

I can’t send pictures or receive pictures thru text message

Hi Melissa,
      Which iphone are you using? which version of ios? Did you follow the guide? Did you look up your APN settings on the straight talk website using the link in the guide?

It’s not clear to me if you followed my response from 3/22

• Crystal | | Reply

Try calling *22890, when my phone started doing this, straight talk had me call this number and reprogramed it. Works just fine now.

3. stephanie | | Reply

i have a iphone 3g on straight talk and it will not get data or mms and i do not have an APN setting on it what can i do?

4. Mike gorrono | | Reply

Can’t send picture messages on iOS 7.4

5. Michaela | | Reply

I’ve had straight talk for a little over a month now and my 3G just randomly quit working after like 4 weeks of being able to use it and for about 3 weeks now the wifi hasn’t been connecting anywhere as well..

Hi Michaela,
      What model iPhone do you have and which version of iOS are you using? Are you using the Straight Talk AT&T-network compatible SIM or the Straight Talk TMobile-network compatible SIM.

6. Claudia Brock | | Reply

Lost my data don’t know when for I use wifi all the time but I mine to use internet 2/14 for directions an failed please fix

7. Harrison | | Reply

My data says I am not subscribed to a cellular data service? It happened when I upgraded my phone. How can that be when I paid $45 a month for data?

8. Calvin | | Reply

I can send mms but I can’t receive them

9. Abdul Ghiyass | | Reply

1- My internet changed from 4G to 3G, why? Now my internet is not working at all, and I’m receiving MMS late.

10. Marty | | Reply

I also had problems with my Iphone 3GS (unlocked) ios 5.1.1 MMS (text worked but not pictures) not working after Straight Talk had me update my APN at iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com . Long story short, I spent a rather worthless while talking with customer service (lack thereof), who had me reinstall the apn again, reboot, etc. , but never got anything resolved. Got the whole “MMS is not guaranteed to work as specified in your Bring Your Own Phone agreement”, even though it worked just fine until ST had me update their APN at the above address. I went through several different APN configurations through unlockit.co.nz without any success. I finally went to settings-general-network-cellular data network and saw that even though I would delete previous APN installs before installing the new ones, that my cellular data was changed to “tfdata”, but my MMS settings were not changed (I think it was still on cingulair settings. So I manually changed the MMS settings to (APN) tfdata, (MMSC) http://mms-tf.net, (MMS Proxy)mms3.tracfone.com:80, (MMS Max msg size) 1048576. I left the username, password, and MMS UA Prof URL blank, then rebooted the phone. When it rebooted lots and lots of old texts and pictures from that day and back for several weeks came through that I never got before. My wife has an Iphone 3GS (unlocked) ios 4.1 as well (she never updated her ios), did the same thing to hers and bam….over 100 texts/pics came through. I got the settings from ST at this link http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/support/apn and put in the requested info to get the settings. It does not tell you anything about how to get to and change the settings though, had to figure it out myself. I don’t know if this is repeating info that is already here, but I read through many of the posts and none worked for me that I had tried. Hope this helps someone else. I appreciate all the advice and tips I did get from the posts I read. I also don’t know if it matters, but I had upgraded to ios 6.1.3, but didn’t like not having my jailbreak, so I reverted back to 5.1.1 with my saved blobs. Even my signal strength and speed improved after I manually entered those settings.

Hi Marty,
      I must have missed approving those comment. Sorry for the delay. I appreciate you tool the time to write out such a detailed description of what worked for you. I have most of this info on the site in the guides and pages but it never hurts to have the details in the comments too.

• AMANDA | | Reply

OMG!!!! Thank you soooo much, I had tried everything and that worked for me. Thank you!!!!

Hi Amanda,
        Glad to hear you got your phone working.

11. Christopher | | Reply

Hello I have an AT&T iPhone 3GS 8GB unlocked I need help try all straight talk for my iPhone it’s not working for my iPhone I tried iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com for my phone dont work I need help I have straight talk but they gave me that but don’t work does anybody knows another deal for straight talk that well work on iPhone 3GS plus more I need help

• lizz kelly | | Reply

i have an iphone 3g running ios 6.0.2 on straight talk and i used unlockit.co.nz which worked well until i got a text from straight talk telling me to turn off my phone and reset it for the latest updates from straight talk. now i cant get on the internet or get picture messages.

• Wendy | | Reply

I had the same issue. I just got done talking to straighttalk. They had me follow the same thing as your guide but the web address I had to type in safari was different. they had me type in iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com
          So if the other one doesn’t work for you try this one. Good luck!

Hi Wendy,
            Did they really send you to my guide?
            There are three links in my guide,the link you mention is one of them.

12. Christopher | | Reply

Hey I tried everything on straight talk for my iPhone 3GS unlocked AT&T phone nothing works is there any others will work I have AT&T compatible with straight talk and my iPhone 3GS is unlocked tried everything I’m running out of options my is at 4.2.1 ok need help now

Do you have a 3G or 3gs? No ios6?

13. Wendy | | Reply

Thank you! Very helpful information to get my phone working again!

Hi Wendy,
      I am glad to hear your phone is working again.

14. Aaron | | Reply

I’ve been talking to Straighttalk customer service and after their network update they said MMS will no longer will work on any iPhone devices. They had me update my apn setting through the iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com profile about 15 times and they had me update my iOS operating system to the latest version 6.1.3. That caused me to lose my jailbreak and of course that didn’t fix anything.

• Aaron | | Reply

I have an iPhone 3GS on Straightalk for about a year and a half and iOS 5.1.1 and data and MMS worked fine until around November 20th 2013 when they updated the network.

• Aaron | | Reply

Bob,
          Unfortunately I lost the ability to change my APN settings to get MMS when I upgraded to iOS 6.1.3 per Straighttalk CS instructions. I’ve been trying to rejailbreak, but its not working. How do I get access to a T-Mobile Sim card?

• Aaron | |

Hi Bob,
            I ordered a standard T-Mobile sim card from eBay $3. I tried the trick many times and kept getting Sim Card Error. I finally realized I needed to unlock my phone (locked to AT&T) before it would recognize the card. I priced unlocking services, as I am not the original owner, and they were too expensive. Ultimately I fixed the mms issue and can now send mms picture messages again.
            I decided to jailbreak my phone again with Redsnow and used Tetherme to edit the APN settings. I used the settings found on the Straighttalk website under Support: then HOW TO UPDATE DATA SETTINGS: Then enter your Phone Number or last 15 digits of SIM card: and enter OTHER for iPhone.
            APN: tfdata
            MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
            MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com:80
            MMS_APN: tfdata
            Thats all. It didn’t say to edit MMS UA Prof URL: so I left that blank.
            Anyways this works as a last resort if anyone cannot get the T-Mobile trick to work or unlocking services are too expensive.

15. Kimi | | Reply

Thank you!! My data stopped working today. Found this site. Removed the APN profile, created a new one with unlockit.co.nz and instlled it. Good to go now!! Thank you!! Glad I didn’t have to call in for support! 🙂

Hi Kimi,
      Great news. Glad your phone is working again. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

16. Pete | | Reply

My straight talk data stopped working!!

Hi Pete,
      Check out smartphonematters.com for the latest info on this.

Remove any installed APN profiles.
      Go into Settings->General->Reset and Reset All Network Settings
      Test your data and MMS
      if it doesn’t work
      Do a hard reset press and hold the lock and home buttons until the phone restarts
      Test your data and MMS
      if it doesn’t work
      follow the guide, either install the APN profile (use the tfdata profile) of data only or SIM swap to try for data and MMS
      (See the guide if you do not know how any of this) How to Setup Straight Talk Wireless Data and MMS for your iPhone running iOS 7

Regards,

17. Mike Marshall | | Reply

Thanks unlockit.co.nz did the trick in a minute on my iPhone 4S ,purchased September 2012 and straight talk service at that time

Hey Mike
      Great news.

18. Kendra | | Reply

AAAUGH! (and I mean that).

It’s bad enough that data decides when to work and not work with Straight Talk and I’ve had to more than once get my MMS working using T-Mobile card. Ever since I signed up for my new month with StraightTalk, I can no longer access data on my iPhone 4 (ios 6). I did an online chat with a StraightTalk rep tonight and she had me remove my unverified StraightTalk profile and add one from iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com. I had data for a whole hour and now not again. I tried your instructions and no go. No MMS (even using the fixes that USED to work) and no data either (tonight I had to keep pulling into fast food restaurants for free wifi). My data isn’t capped. I use my phone 90% of the time on my home wifi. I honestly don’t know what they (StraightTalk) are doing. *sigh*

Hey Kendra,
      Try this.
      Remove the APN profile. See the instructions in the guide if you don’t down how.
      Hold the home and lock buttons until the phone reboots
      Install the profile again from the link you provided
      Restart your phone
      Test your data
      Let me know how it goes.

19. Beth | | Reply

Thank you so much! I tried calling Straighttalk for help, and they told me I would have to update my phone. Apparently Apple is no longer sending updates for the 3gs. ST had no alternative for me. I refused to give up and did a quick google and found your tutorial. Now if only I could find
    a fix for mms.

Hi Beth
      What version of iOS? Why guide should work for MMS too.

20. Tina Tarr | | Reply

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Got it fixed after my second attempt. I have talked with StraightTalk people, Apple people and NO ONE knew what to do for my iPhone 3gs. I have been without email for a month. I thought I was going to have to subscribe to ATT and buy a new iPhone. Thanks a million!

Tina,
      That is great news. Keep that 3GS going strong!

21. bj | | Reply

Ok guys my Iphone 4 on ios6 was working correctly then i let the straight talk subscription run out. after that My data stopped working and I contacted straight talk they then told me I needed ios7, although it worked the day before that on ios6. I knew they were confused lol. I then started looking up solutions to the issue online and ran across a post here about removing the APN settings and re-doing them. I use a Apn app called Apnunlockitall.co i think is the name i removed the apn settings configured and then connected to the internet via wifi and re-did the setup. I then disconnected the wifi and my iphone4 running on ios6 started using the data again. I hope this post helps ppl. And once again this site saved my phone! A big ty to the Admin here at http://smartphonematters.com !!!!

22. Deborah | | Reply

Hi, I have an iPhone 5 GSM, bought a micro Sim card on eabay that had been cut down to a nano to fit my cell so I could use with Straight Talks bring your own phone. It worked fine until by uncontrollable reason I let my phone go inactive. When I tried to activate again it asked for the serial # but, the SIM card was from a Nokia phone and I didn’t have that #. So, I purchased a Micro card from Walmarts Straight talk online cut it down myself and called to activate my # again…the talk & text worked but, they wasn’t able to get my data & MMS to work. I tried downloading new Apn setting says not verified turn wifi off safari doesn’t work. Is there something else I can try that you know of? Please help if you can!! I’m desperate just spent $570 on a smartphone without data :/

Deborah,
      Ok. When did you buy the new SIM card from straight talk? Did you buy the att or tmobile sim?

Here is what I want you to do. Go check out my guide. How to Setup Straight Talk Wireless Data and MMS for your iPhone running iOS 7. Follow the first section step by step and try to get data working.

I use an unlocked iphone 5 on both net10 and straight talk too. I think you will be able to get it working again with a little patience.
      Let me know how it goes.

23. Tanya K | | Reply

I have the AT&T Iphone 4 and ordered a new SIM card from straight talk put it in and now I can not get the internet or send or receive picture messages PLEASE HELP

24. Brandie Posley | | Reply

I can’t download the website that is told to me from straighttalk why is that?? The App does work at all

25. Jackie | | Reply

Just stop working

26. Isabella | | Reply

I have an Iphone 5 unlocked and just started Straight Talk. Everything working except MMS. I was trying to back up my contacts to my computer and accidentally reset the phone? but now in the settings my 1. wi-fi doesnt stay connected. 2. I now can’t access data, keep getting msg :unable to access cellular data 3. under phone, no longer shows straight talk but now shows At&T Services. How do I fix what I did..I lost all my text msgs but not my contacts.

Hi Isabella,
      Does your Wi-Fi work at all? When you reset you phone you mat have lost all your Wi-Fi passwords which need to be re-entered. If you have having trouble with Wi-Fi, then there is something wrong with the software on your phone or your phone. Try an open Wi-Fi network like Starbucks or the public Library.
      Once wi-Fi is working backup your contacts and info to iCloud.

Now hold down the lock button and home key at the same time until your phone restarts.

Follow my iOS 7 guide. How to Setup Straight Talk Wireless Data and MMS for your iPhone running iOS 7

27. CC | | Reply

Hi,
    I have a personal phone (a Wiko Cink Peax, Android), and I am on straightalk since August. It worked parly fine, and the day before yesterday the internet data just stopped. I can still call or text, but do nothing on the internet. DO you think I have to change my APN settings?
    I dont think I went over the 1,5 data because i’m home on wifi most of the time.
    Thanks a lot if you can help me.
    CC

Hey CC,
      Officially Straight Talk and Net10 state they do not cap data usage. It is possible your APN was changed. Sounds like you know how to change your APN settings so try tfdata, att.mvno, and wap.tracfone and see if you can get your data to work. Once you get the correct APN for data, you can try for MMS.

Let me know

28. Girl76 | | Reply

Hi,

Do you know how to get Visual Voicemail working on the iPhone 5 for Straight Talk?

Thanks

Hi Girl76,
      Unfortunately, Visual Voice Mail does not work with Straight Talk or Net10. Or at least, I have not found a way or anyone who has it working. There is an app called, YouMail, in the App store, and many people use this and are happy with it. I have not tried it myself, if you do try it, I’d like to hear what you think of it.

29. ajglebc | | Reply

Thanks for the Guide Bob. My sons iPhone all of a sudden started getting the message “Could not activate cellular data network”. I removed the APN and loaded a new one and everything worked the 1st time. Nice instructions.
    AJ

AJ,
      I am glad that it helped.

30. Maxwell Appleton | | Reply

I ran into data issues with my son’s phone. After constantly mucking around with the APN settings, I logged into my account at straighttalk.com. Turns out the “Auto-Renew” had turned off.

Grrr.

I should have checked my account first, as this is the second time it has happened. First with my phone… then his.

also… after re-activating his phone, I was presented with new data for my APN settings. “tfdata” rather then the “att.mvno”.

I put in the tracfone settings, but the phone never connected. I put back the old att.mvno settings and the bloody thing finally started working again.

… that’s my story

Hey Maxwell,
      It happens! Straight Talk uses three APNs and the vast majority of people end up here because Straight Talk only told them about one. They are making and effort to move new and existing uses over from att.mvno to tfdata. Thank you for sharing. I have no doubt some other reader will find the comment relevant and it is another thing I can remind people to check.

31. Amber | | Reply

I am having a problem with my data. It was working fine on my Iphone 4s for a couple of days with straighttalk and now says “could not activate cellular data network.” I should have unlimited data and have only had it a few days. I tried all of your forums about setting up an APN and the data still does not work. I am not sure what to do now. Can you help? Thanks.

• Steve | | Reply

I have this issue pop up randomly every couple of weeks or so. It’s a nuisance, but if I re-enter the cellular settings (using a t-mobile SIM) I always get data and MMS back.

It would be awesome if one of these APN’s you load through web browser would also enable MMS…

Hey Steve,
        It would be awesome if Apple would add the MMS settings to the APN profile.

32. trisha | | Reply

I can’t get my mms activated

• Mario Sanchez | | Reply

Hey Bob,

I could not send or receive pics that were attached to a text msg from one of my contacts, although I was able to send and receive pics from other contacts. It took me a while (a few hours) to understand that the ones I was able to get were getting to me via iMessage. Then I realized that the problem was that not only I did not have MMS ON, I didn’t even have a MMS switch showing in my Settings>Message page. Your guide made all the difference. It took me about an hour, but you trully covered all the bases. THANKS A LOT

Hi Mario,
          I am glad to hear that you data and MMs are working and the guide helped. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. The comments on the site add to value to all the readers looking for help!

33. Travis | | Reply

Need help not getting through

34. Jochy | | Reply

Well I’m on OS 7 beta 3. Activate wifi go to straightalksim.com and go through the clicks
    1. Data/APN Settings
    2. At&t data settings
    3. Iphone

here it will give you a direct link to a profile in mine the APN had: tfdata

Still MMS is not working but going arround on it. I belive I’ll have to go to a conf file to make changes.

35. just | | Reply

thanks Alan. the settings that you recommended worked for me on my jailbroke iphone 3gs. For the third time in as many weeks my settings had stopped working. My 3g data and sms were still working but the MMS suddenly stopped working and this time i did not receive a text alerting me that carrier settings had been updated.

Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMS
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy:mms2.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

36. Steve | | Reply

I have a factory unlocked I phone 5 and also use st , it was working fine until this past Saturday , I tried to use my sim swap but picture messaging is still not working , can you help me.

Thanks,Steve

Hi Steve,
      Are you using the the AT&T or T-Mobile SIM? what values did you enter for the SIM Swap? Did you install any profiles before the SIM swap?

• I did it | | Reply

I was just messing around with lots of options. I finally got my data to work by just using
      cellular data:
      APN- wap.tracfone

MMS:
      mmsc- http://mmsc.tracfone.com

thats it all the rest blank this is on the iphone 3g

Hi “I did it”,
        Glad you got it working. Thank you for sharing with the other readers.

37. Elle247 | | Reply

Persistence pays off. I used a number of different methods over 5 weeks. Thought I was going to go crazy trying to figure it out! Nothing worked until I found this website and used the T-mobile swap and put in the settings that pghmike4 posted at the top. Thank you soooo much!

Hi Elle,
      Great news! I am happy that your are back online and thanks to mike for his comment too!

38. Michael Barber | | Reply

I tried it twice using Bob Thompson’s settings and each time got the annoying message ” Could not activate cellular data network”. Next I reset my network settings, and tried it a 3rd time using Bob Thompson’s settings and it worked on the 3rd time. So don’t give up. Very finicky but eventually it works.

Hey Michael,
      Thanks for sharing. You are hit the nail right on the head. You need to try the steps a few times if it doesn’t work. It’s easy to miss a step or a typo. Are you are right, I can prove it but I think this whole process is a little finicky. I often get requests for help from people who haven’t read the guide and tried anything or the comment after trying a hundred times. Quite the extemes!

39. Kristy | | Reply

I had to use a combo of the fixes listed on here to get my iPhone 4S MMS working again! Here are my settings, hope it helps someone out!

APN att.mvno
    USERNAME
    PASSWORD
    MMSC http://www.mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS PROXY 66.209.11.33
    MMS MAX MESSAGE SIZE 1048576

I am using factory locked, jailbroken iphone 4s with straight talk at&t SIM.

Hey Kristy,
      Thanks for sharing. I am glad to hear is working. I am wondering, after you jail broke your phone did you have to install an extra app to get the the Cellular Data Network settings?

40. PghMike4 | | Reply

Apparently ST is moving to a different set of addresses. I just got the carrier settings updated notification again today 4.7.2013, and this time setting data back to att.mvno didn’t work.

What has worked for me is:

(Data) APN: tfdata

(MMS) APN: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    MMS Max: 1048576
    UA Prof: [I’ve seen two recommendations: empty, and http://www.apple.com/mms/usprof.rdf not sure if it matters]

To set these settings, you need to jailbreak or use the T-mobile swap hack. I’m not sure if unlockit.co.nz has been updated to use tfdata instead of att.mvno.

If this crap keeps up, I may move to net10. Does anyone have any experience with net10?

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for sharing what worked for you. I use Net10 with my iPhone 5. I have not had an issue with my settings changing. My APN is wap.tracfone though. Net10 and Straight Talk are owned by the same company. THe difference is mostly branding, cost, and networks. New net10 customers can choose the ATT network if they are willing to accept a 1.5 GB a month data cap.

I have heard from a few readers with issue with net10 and carrier updates, but way more from ST users such as your self. I don’t think unlock has been updated. Turns out though that ST has links to three apn profile on their site for iPhone users. I documented them in my guide. http://smartphonematters.com/guides/how-to-setup-straighttalk-wireless-data-and-mms-for-ios-6/

IF you do look to change, you might want to check out ATT GoPhone they have a $60 a month plan. I have been meaning to look into it. If you don’t have to SIM swap and if you get visual voicemail it might be worth it.

• Kendra | | Reply

This brought my data back but not the ability to send pics via MMS. I’m with ya, if there’s no fix for this, this is probably my last month with StraightTalk. I’m going back to Virgin Mobile.

Hi,
        So know that data is working you would need to use the tmobile sim again. There have been two issues with ST. First they have been updating the settings customers need to use. Second, customers that renew after their service ends seem to lose data after renewing.

I encourage the people who read my site to make an informed choice when choosing a cellular carrier. I have never used virgin mobile, I wrote a post about what looked like they had some good deals on the iphone 4. I’ve had other readers choose to spend more for AIO or ATT Pay & Go to avoid these problems.

If you stick with ST or go to Virgin, I’d love to hear how it works out for you. Reader comments add a lot of value for those looking to choose a prepaid service.

41. Kim @ This Belle Rocks | | Reply

I’ve had this issue twice now in about three weeks, both after I got a “carrier network settings” update on my phone. Not immediately after, though. Last time, it was no problem to fix it with my simple mobile sim, but that’s a lot of trouble to go through on just a random basis. What does “your carrier network settings have been updated” even mean? I have the same version iOS so I assume it’s not that. And there is no way I could have gone over my data limit.

Hi Kim,
      Thanks for commenting. I haven’t been able to track down any substantial information on why these network updates are causing so much pain for Straight Talks users. From what I hear, a number of readers are unable to get data or mms working again after the updates. One thing i do is keep a browser bookmark to the carrier APN profile in my browser. If I lose my settings, I can quickly restore data anywhere I can get WiFi. Obviously, if you rely on MMS this isn’t a great solution. I don’t use MMS too often so its not an issue for me.

I think if you look at Settings->General->About-Carrier you will see the version number update. Hopefully these updates will settle down soon.

42. Monica | | Reply

Need help can’t get my data or pic mail to work on my iPhone 3GS straight talk tried everything I have software 6.1.3 PLEASE HELP!!!!

43. Nathan Baker | | Reply

This has happened to me twice now…the first time I paid a guy to fix it. But it just happened again, and I can’t afford to keep paying for a fix. I’m considering ditching prepaid to perhaps get some real customer support. Bollocks, really…

• Nathan Baker | | Reply

I went to unlockit.co.nz and downloaded their APN settings since I don’t have extra SIM cards lying about for swapping to access APN settings…it brought my data back. Not sure about picture mail yet though.

Hi Nathan,
        I am glad to hear your data is working. Your MMS will not work with just the unlockit APN.
        If you need MMS, pick up a T-Mobile network SIM and I can help you with that.

Hi Nathan,
      It seems to be happening to a lot of people. I am on Net10 and I haven’t had an issue. Let us know if you switch and where you end up.

44. J | | Reply

I am having the same issue. Mms and data worked fine and then now after update I have data but no mms.

45. Jim | | Reply

I just got my iPhone 4’s data and MMS working after the stupid OTA updates. Here are my settings:

Cellular Data
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Internet Tethering
    APN: (remove ‘phone’)
    Username:
    Password:

I am using a non-jailbroken factory unlocked iPhone 4 with a Straight Talk ATT sim. In order to access the APN settings I used the sim swap method.

Hi Jim,
      Great to hear from you. Thanks for sharing what worked. It really helps out when people share what values worked.

Best Regards,

• Alan | | Reply

Cellular Data
        APN: att.mvno
        Username:
        Password:
        MMS
        APN: att.mvno
        Username:
        Password:
        MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
        MMS Proxy:mms2,tracfone.com:80
        MMS Max Size: 1048576
        MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

I am using a jailbroken factory locked iPhone 4 with a Straight Talk ATT sim. In order to access the APN settings I used EditAPN from Cydia(free).

• Alan | | Reply

A correction to the MMS Proxy:mms2.tracfone.com:80 in the above post I had a comma where a period belongs.

Hi Alan,
          thanks for sharing what worked for you!

Best Regards,

46. Jason | | Reply

Iphone 4 – 6.1.2 jailbroken with EditAPN – carrier update the other day and settings were reset to ATT settings – I keep editing them back to every setting you’ve had listed and nothing will work. I’d reset network settings then tried just the links and used those profiles, none will work. No data at all. Still can make calls and do normal texts, no pictures or data. Any other solutions? I suppose I can do a restore. I’m trying to get thru to straighttalk now.

Hi Jason,
      I have been trying to get someone in this situation to do a full restore to see if it solves the problem. Most people are reluctant. Do you know what is involved with doing a full restore on a jailbroken phone? I have been meaning to setup a jailbroken to help people out here on smartphonematters.com. Please let us know what Straight Talk has to say about the matter.

47. Patrick | | Reply

It happened to me twice recently. Got this weird “your carrier settings have been updated” message and then data stopped working. Each time I just redid the settings in the “how to setup…” tutorial mentioned above (sim swap method). I used the tfdata version of the settings and things went back to working. I’m not sure what this “carrier update” message is or what it means but I clearly don’t use that much data to make them want to shut me off.

Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. This will get rather annoying if I have to do it again every few weeks.

Hi Patrick,
      Thanks for commenting. I am glad to hear you are working again. A number of readers are not so lucky. Can you please let us know if this happens to you again?

Regards,

• Patrick | | Reply

Will do. So far, things are holding.

Patrick

48. Scott | | Reply

I’ve been affected by this as well. Last couple of days I started getting the data message. I setup a support ticket for StraightTalk through facebook. I’ll report what happens.

Hey Scott,
      sorry to hear that. Did you lose your data or MMS when this happened? I am looking for a reader who lost service to see if we can get it working and report a fix. Do you have the time to try this?

Regards,

49. David Ahrens | | Reply

I successfully had data and MMS working on a locked AT&T iphone 4s of straight talk for many months. On/about June 16th, a message popped up on my phone saying the carrier needed to update my settings. Since then I have had no MMS and tried a variety of APN settings using the Sim Card switch technique to no avail. I don’t use all that much data so I know it’s not a hidden data cap issue. My wife uses less data and same thing happened to her iphone also.

Hi David,
      There have been many reports of this. Is your data working? If so do you know what APN you are using for data?

Regards,

50. Alex | | Reply

I have been affected by this. my data has gone out a few days ago and i haven’t been able to fix this…bob do you have any solutions? I updated to 6.1.3 a month ago and i’ve had no problems so i don’t think its the update.