Want to transfer your existing Straight Talk phone number and remaining service balance to a new smartphone or SIM? Well you can and in this article I’ll show you how and explain what you need to know. See my video below.
Transferring your current Straight Talk phone number and remaining service balance to a new phone or SIM isn’t difficult. You can contact Straight Talk customer service and ask them do it for you or you can do it online from straighttalk.com. To contact Straight Talk support, see Contact Straight Talk Support
Looking to sign up for Straight Talk?
This article is for current Straight Talk customers. If you want to learn how to sign up for Straight Talk, keep your current number, and use your current smartphone see my articles below.
Moving Your SIM Card
Sometimes transferring your Straight Talk service to a new phone is as simple as moving the SIM from your current phone to your new phone. You can move your SIM card if your:
- current phone uses Straight Talk’s AT&T or T-Mobile network
- new phone is compatible with the Straight Talk network you are using
- current phone and new phone both use the same size SIM card
For more information about when you should or should not move your SIM card, see: Moving Your Straight Talk SIM Card To Your New Phone
Transferring Your Service From straighttalk.com
If you are unable to move your SIM card from your current phone to your new phone then you’ll need to transfer your service online from straighttalk.com
Creating Your Straight Talk Account
To transfer your service using straighttalk.com, you’ll need an account. If you don’t already have one, now is the time to set one up. Once you have created your straighttalk.com account, you’ll see your current phone listed as an Active Device. Later you’ll be able to transfer your phone number and remaining service balance to your new phone or SIM. You could probably create your account during the transfer process, but I think its better to do it beforehand.
Your New Phone or SIM card
If you are planning to transfer your Straight Talk service, you’ll need a either a new phone, a new SIM card, or possibly both. If you bought your new phone from straighttalk.com or from Walmart everything you need is in the box.
If you got your new phone somewhere else, you’ll need to by a SIM card for your phone. SIM cards come in three sizes, Standard, Micro, and nano you’ll need the right size SIM card for your phone. You’ll also need to make sure that you order the SIM card for the Straight Talk network you want to use. (AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile). Make sure your new phone is compatible with the Straight Talk network you want to use.
Click here to order online from straighttalk.com
Not sure how to order? See my article and video showing you exactly what to do.
Click Ordering a Straight Talk SIM Card Or Bring Your Own Phone Activation Kit
Your Phone Number and Service Balance
You can transfer your phone number to your new phone and your remaining service balance as long as your new phone is eligible for your current plan. If you are using Straight Talk’s $30 plan you will not be able to transfer your remaining service balance to a smartphone or BYOP phone. Your phone number will transfer, but you’ll need to purchase a new service plan for your new phone.
The last time I transferred my Straight Talk service to a new SIM card, it took only a minute before the new SIM was active. Straight Talk claims the process can take up to 48 hours so make sure you plan your transfer accordingly.
Transferring Your Service
Now, I’m going to show you how to transfer your Straight Talk service. I am currently using Straight Talk’s AT&T network with my iPhone 6s with the $45 BYOP plan. I’m going to transfer my service to a new Straight Talk AT&T nano SIM. When I am done, I’m going to use that SIM in the same iPhone 6s. For most people, when you transfer your service you’ll be transferring your service to a new Straight Talk phone or a BYOP SIM card. If your transferring to a new SIM card, it would usually be a different size SIM or for a different network, otherwise you would just move your SIM.
- Go to straighttalk.com
- From the menu, Click Activation
- Under Bring Your Own Phone or Devices, Click Activate
- Under I HAVE A SIM CARD, Click Select
- Under Enter your SIM card number here, type in your SIM card number. Click Continue
- Under KEEP MY NUMBER, click Select
- Under Please enter the phone number you want to keep here, type in your phone number, Click Continue
- Under We noticed that you are currently an active Straight Talk customer. To continue with this process, please log into your account., Log in with your straighttalk.com account
- Under Information About Your New Device, Make sure your SIM number is correct. The first 5 digits may be missing. That’s OK
- Under Information About Your New Device, Enter a nickname for your new phone or SIM if you want
- Under Information About Your Current Device, check the button to the left of your current phone.
- When ready, Click Submit
How To Sign Up and Use Your iPhone 6 or 6s with Straight Talk Wireless
How To Sign Up And Use Your iPhone SE With Straight Talk Wireless